Following its successful launch at the WBG-IMF Spring Meetings in April 2019, the Coalition of Finance Ministers for Climate Action hosted its 2nd Sherpa meeting, from June 4-5, in Santiago, Chile.
The meeting featured technical experts from 18 member countries, as well as representatives from partner institutions such as the NDC Partnership, UNEP, and UNFCCC. The Coalition engaged with countries leading action on the Helsinki Principles, and initiated the development of an Action Plan to organize its governance and streamline its activities.
The Coalition will host Finance Ministers during the WBG-IMF Annual Meetings in October 2019 to report on progress of its work.
Session: Principle 3 - Carbon Pricing
- Intro to Principle 3 - World Bank
- UN Handbook on Carbon Taxation
- Ecuador: Reforming fossil fuel subsidies
- Sweden: Principle 3 Action Plan
Session: Principle 4 - Macro-fiscal/Budgeting/Investment & Spending
- Introduction to Principle 4; survey results
- Review of Climate Legislation
- Philippines: Towards a whole of government approach
- Iceland: Integrating climate change in the budget process
- Finland: Environmentally harmful subsidies in budget reporting
Session: Principle 5 - Private Finance Mobilization
- Introduction to Principle 5; survey results
- Green and ESG Sovereign Bond Issuance Panel
- Netherlands - Financial Sector Commitment
- Collaboration with Partners/Initiatives
Session: Principle 6 - Engaging with NDCs
Session: Principles 1&2 - Knowledge sharing
Session: Working on the Action Plan